Booting the installation of Fedora Core 2

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Oct 18 23:23:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 18:55 -0400, Tim Holmes wrote:
> Unfortunatly two thing mitigate against the approach you recommended.
>
> 1). I don't have the fedora core 1
> 2). You lost me after you said boot the FC 1 installation.

Not a problem. Let me see if I can make this clearer: the process is
similar to what some people did years ago by installing Win98 then
upgrading to WinNT instead of installing NT directly.

  1. You can download and install a "minimal" Fedora Core 1 by getting
only the first CD disk from any mirror or from Red Hat. FC-1 was the
release just before FC-2. You only need to download the first CD.

  2. After you get this CD downloaded, try installing from the CD-ROM
and see it if boots. Hey, you never know.

  3. If not, put the CD into your Red Hat box and change into the
"images" directory on it. You should see a file called "bootdisk.img"
with the "ll" command.

  4. Put a floppy in the drive, issue this command: "dd if=bootdisk.img
of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k". You should get an answer like "1+0 records out".

  5. Check that you can see the files on the floppy, on any computer.

  6. Use that diskette to boot your old box, and install FC-1 from the
CD you just downloaded. When you're done with the install, it will
reboot and you will be running FC-1 (the prior version) on your box.

  7. Put the FC-2 CD-ROM (note: FC-2) into the drive, and change into
the "isolinux" directory. There you will find two files: initrd.img and
vmlinuz. Copy them to /boot and I suggest you change their names to make
it clearer for you... something like fc2-initrd.img and fc2-vmlinuz.

  8. In /boot/grub/grub.conf you will find four lines that look ROUGHLY
like this:

title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.624)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.624 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.624.img

Edit them to say something like this:

title Fedora Core 2 Install
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /fc2-vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /fc2-initrd.img

  9. Now, reboot the system. When you see the first blue menu, select
your "Fedora Core 2 Install" option. Keep the FC-2 disk in the drive.
You should now be able to continue the FC-2 installation without
problems.

Is that any better? Feel free to keep asking questions.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>