Anyone using network profiles?

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Tue Oct 19 02:57:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 06:33, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> J. Erik Hemdal wrote:
>
> > As for profiles, I tried them in FC1 and FC2 and found that they don't
> > work.
> > Settings such as the DNS addresses seem to stick.  So I can set up
> > settings in one profile, and when I switch to a new profile, the other
> > settings
> > (wrong) migrate and wipe out the right ones.  My IP address and DNS server
> > addresses need to change frequently and these are the settings I really
> > need to have working.
>
> That is exactly what I have found.
> It's reassuring to see that others have had the same experience,
> as I was beginning to assume I had misunderstood
> how one was meant to set this up.
>
> I'll try to work out exactly what happens, and submit a bugzilla.

Well, not to be contrary or anything, but after hating the tool in RHL8,
I tried it again in FC2....  For me it is working!!

I have essentially to forms of NICs (one wired eth0 and one wireless
ath0).  Each of the two NICs have several actual devices to represent
the various settings depending on where I travel to and how I
connect....

I only used the GUI to define the Profiles and must admit that I had
some difficulty getting things initially defined but do not recall the
exact steps....

Since that time I make heavy use of the kernel boot parameter
"netprofile=profilename" and heavy use of the command line
"system-config-network-cmd --profile profilename --activate".  I haven't
been back in the GUI for a while....

Let me know if I can help compare notes....

--Rob