Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin jeremyconlin at mail.weber.edu
Tue Oct 19 04:06:26 UTC 2004

> Please provide more details on how are you trying to connect to the
> machine (Linux) running th VNC server?  When you try the vnc server, go
> to the client machine (Windows) and use the vnc-client and type in:
> severIPaddress:1
I am trying to log in from my Mac OS X machine.  The message I get when
using my browser is that the browser could not connect to the server.

> Your server will be listening (for instance #1) on 5901 (I'm not 100%
> sure) but check your firewall rules (if you have any on the server)
> that may be blocking incoming traffic.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't know anything about
firewalls in linux (I need to learn).  I am used to GUI firewalls.

> Also, you could try (from windows box) the following command;
> telnet serverIPaddress 5901 and see if you can get a connection
> established (you'll see something like "Connected to whateverName...".
I got the following message

lloyd ~/Desktop$ telnet 141.213.137.17 5901
Trying 141.213.137.17...
telnet: connect to address 141.213.137.17: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Thanks,
Jeremy