system hung

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Oct 19 14:05:14 UTC 2004

Vano Beridze wrote:
> Hello
>
> I run fedora 2
> uname -r
> 2.6.8-1.521
>
> My uptime was about 10 days and today while working normally
> keyboard locked up. Mouse was working normally.
> Keyboard actually died.
> I tried Ctrl+Alt+Backspace,Ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+alt+f1,f2,f3,...
> nothing helped.
> The only way was to reboot.
>
> I inspected /var/log/messages. The interested string is this:
>
> Oct 19 12:24:29 iguana kernel: application mozilla-bin uses obsolete OSS
> audio interface
> Oct 19 12:24:29 iguana modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> for sound_slot_1
> Oct 19 12:48:47 iguana modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> for sound_slot_1
> Oct 19 12:56:03 iguana last message repeated 2 times
> Oct 19 13:21:14 iguana kernel: input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on
> isa0060/serio0
>
> These are the last messages just before reboot.
>
> I'm really disappointed. I'm  really surprised with such things.
> One of the main things I prefer linux is the stability. No more blue
> screens.
> Actually that was the case before fedora. I've never seen such an
> unpredictible behaviour in redhats 6.2,7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8.0,9.
>
> Sorry if I look like a whiner, but I just lost 2 hours of my work and
> that makes me upset.
>
> Thank you.
>
> P.S. It's just sad to realize that Fedora failed my expectations and
> I'll switch to Gentoo.

As I have the odd (3 times in 6 months) lockup just like you describe
it would be interesting to see if you have noticed any other weird
problems.

On my machine if I am playing a game, I will notice a routine stutter
in the graphics.  I have just noticed this in the last few days.  I
have also had my xmms just stop in mid tune for no apparent reason.

I cannot trace this to any one thing but I have a feeling it has
something to do with a cron job or some routine cleanup process that
is occurring.

I have no messages in any log and the computer continues to operate in
the background.  The last time it occurred I was in the process of
downloading some binaries off the Usenet and I left the computer
running.  All the downloads continued.  My screen and keyboard were
locked and only a reset would get me back to working.

On losing work, most programs have an auto save feature that prevents
most of this.  I got into a habit of doing this when I tried windows
due to constant crashes.

Remember Fedora is a development version of Linux.  I am still using
FC1 and will upgrade to FC3 as FC2 came out just as I had finished
getting FC1 just the way I liked it.

--
Robin Laing