"Linux rescue" from install cd can not find USB disk Linux partitions

Hi,

I have attempted installation of Fedora Core 2 on a USB external
disk. At boot time, the Linux boot failed. To analyze the
problem, I next ran "Linux rescue" off the installation CD
which reported it could not find any Linux partitions. I then
tried "Linux expert rescue" which also failed.

What can I do to see Linux partitions on a USB external disk
when running Linux rescue?

Thanks, --Lew