Re: Enabling VNC

On 2004-10-19 10:16:04 -0400, Volker Kindermann <ml ps102 de> said:
Here's my xstartup (it's a Red Hat ES 3.0 but should be similar on Fedora) that starts the default gnome-session:

---
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &
---
My xstartup looked nearly the same. I uncommented the exec... line earlier and just now uncommented the unset... line. After rebooting (and restarting vncserver) and closing the firewall it came up just the way I expected it to. Now, how can I configure the firewall to accept vnc connections without turning it off? And how can I get vncserver to start on boot?

I thought I heard once that I don't need a VNC client to do this as X11 will do it if it is configured correctly. Is this a correct statement or am I required to use a client?

Thanks,
Jeremy