free space advice.

Scott Anderson scott_anderson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 17:36:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 13:06 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> [...]I have an alternate suggestion. It's useful to have /home on its
> own partition, because that way, you can keep your user data isolated from
> OS data. If you want to switch distributions, or just do an "upgrade" but
> start from scratch to get a clean slate, you can then leave your /home
> partition (and all of your user data) untouched, but completely wipe /. I do
> this all the time, in fact.

Hi,

Just read this post and this seems like a good idea, but I remember
seeing some other things (can't remember details) which seemed against
the idea of introducing disc partitions on the same OS - "it's a bit
like putting a fence in your _own_ garden" is one analogy which has
stuck in my mind.

I was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me if there are any
specific disadvantages to doing what you suggest?

S.