free space advice.

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Oct 19 17:53:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 06:36:12PM +0100, Scott Anderson wrote:
> Just read this post and this seems like a good idea, but I remember
> seeing some other things (can't remember details) which seemed against
> the idea of introducing disc partitions on the same OS - "it's a bit
> like putting a fence in your _own_ garden" is one analogy which has
> stuck in my mind.
> I was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me if there are any
> specific disadvantages to doing what you suggest?

The problem your quote refers to is this: if you partition your disk up like
crazy, it's easy to be running out of space on one while you have tons free
on another. That's an annoying situation to get into. But with large disks
these days, it's less of an issue, and if you're just splitting /home from
/, there's not much to think about. If you also have a separate /var and
/usr and /usr/local and and /var/spool/mail and so on, you've got a lot to
juggle (and correspondingly need better justification for the split).