free space advice.

bryan at redfedora.co.uk bryan at redfedora.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 18:13:10 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Anderson" <scott_anderson at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: free space advice.

> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 13:06 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>> [...]I have an alternate suggestion. It's useful to have /home on its
>> own partition, because that way, you can keep your user data isolated
>> from
>> OS data. If you want to switch distributions, or just do an "upgrade" but
>> start from scratch to get a clean slate, you can then leave your /home
>> partition (and all of your user data) untouched, but completely wipe /. I
>> do
>> this all the time, in fact.
>
> Hi,
>
> Just read this post and this seems like a good idea, but I remember
> seeing some other things (can't remember details) which seemed against
> the idea of introducing disc partitions on the same OS - "it's a bit
> like putting a fence in your _own_ garden" is one analogy which has
> stuck in my mind.
>
> I was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me if there are any
> specific disadvantages to doing what you suggest?
>
> S.
>
> --

Having just shimmied a new drive into a working samba box that was full to
the brim I hived off the /home partition to it's own drive. It wasn't
particularly difficult to do with gnu parted and copying to keep ownership
and wotnot. There was a really good article on the ibm developerworks site
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-partplan.html that I
used as a reference. It just means that future hard disk upgrades will be a
tad easier if they succeed in filling a 200gb disk!

Bryan