Yum performance

Mostafa Z. Afgani mostafa.afgani at world.iu-bremen.de
Tue Oct 19 19:24:28 UTC 2004

James Kosin wrote:
> Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Over the last couple of days I have noticed that yum takes a very long
>> time to gather the header information from the servers. Download of
>> actual headers/packages are however normal. Is there anyone else
>> experiencing this problem? The following might be relevant:
>>

>> <<--snip-->>
>

>> Thanks,
>> -M
>>
> M,
>
> You have quite a few repositories to look at.  Basically, if there are
> any redundancies on any of the servers you are pointing to; yum also has
> to resolve the headers for each.  This is to help limit downloading the
> same package from 2 or more different sites.
> You have 9 repositories listed and enabled, which is quite a bit if you
> ask me.  But, then what do I know?
>
> One way to help, could be to mirror all those sites on your system and
> build a single yum repository on your server or another where you could
> get all the updates in a single download.
> Look up 'yum-arch' for this.  There are also several sites on how to
> setup a mirror and a yum repository.
>
> Good Luck,
> James Kosin

Hi James,

Thanks a lot for the reply but I think I have the problem figured out
(?). It just seems that the response times of <ayo.freshrpms.net> and
<apt.sw.be> are painfully slow in my case for some unknown reason. I
changed the yum.conf to look at mirrors instead of those sites and
things are back to normal.

Thanks a lot for the advice though.

Best,