OT but pretty cool - $750 off Inspirons today only

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 19 21:46:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 22:41, Daniel Stonier wrote:
> I really hope this sort of blase attitude doesn't become the norm. Matthew's right - we have so much advertising invading everything we do, it detracts from focusing on what we need to do. If we encourage this one instance, it sets a precedence for more advertising to invade the list. How do we say no to the next little advert? There really can be no grey line. This list is about solving problems with fedora and its already voluminous enough as it is.
>
> Let your mates know, or post to appropriate places where those of us who are looking for these sorts of deals will ordinarily go to, sure. But here it detracts from the nature of the list. I for one enjoy a haven free from outside influence and advertising where we can discuss exactly the problems I signed up to the list for.

I agree entirely, and also feel that anyone that has to resort to
name-calling in an argument has already lost that argument.

Whilst the Dell offer may have been a great offer for those able to take
advantage of it, it starts us off on a slippery slope where anyone that
thinks their offer is so good that everyone should hear about it sends
mail to this (already high-volume) list and that just doesn't bear
thinking about.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>