Really ignorant question on mouse

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Oct 20 11:23:58 UTC 2004

The serial mouse on my desktop does not work when I boot,
but if I go into text mode and run system-config-mouse,
give the correct settings (Microsoft compatible mouse on com1)
and return to graphical mode
the mouse works perfectly, until I reboot.

Actually the only time I reboot the desktop
is when I change the kernel,
so the issue is more theoretical than practical.

But how can I make this change permanent?
I can't see anything wrong with the Pointer settings
in my xorg.conf .

But what exactly does system-config-mouse change?
[And why does it _not_ make the change permanently for X?]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366