Really ignorant question on mouse

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Oct 20 11:39:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:23:58 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> The serial mouse on my desktop does not work when I boot,
> but if I go into text mode and run system-config-mouse,
> give the correct settings (Microsoft compatible mouse on com1)
> and return to graphical mode
> the mouse works perfectly, until I reboot.
>
> Actually the only time I reboot the desktop
> is when I change the kernel,
> so the issue is more theoretical than practical.
>
> But how can I make this change permanent?
> I can't see anything wrong with the Pointer settings
> in my xorg.conf .
>
> But what exactly does system-config-mouse change?
> [And why does it _not_ make the change permanently for X?]

Did you disable service gpm? If so, enable it again even if you
don't use it:

  chkconfig gpm --level 2345 on
  service gpm start

This seems to be the only way to activate serial mice in X since FC2.
I haven't done any research in this matter, but it could be related
to the new input layer in the 2.6 kernel series. Somehow gpm adds it
bit to get it working.

--
Fedora Core release 2.92 (FC3 Test 3) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 0.15 0.22 0.20