Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin jeremyconlin at mail.weber.edu
Wed Oct 20 12:50:25 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-20 01:52:22 -0400, "Kevin J. Cummings"
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> said:

>>> This can be done with a small change to your X11 config.
>>>
>>> In your Section "Module", include the following:
>>>
>>>     # Load the REALVnc module
>>>     Load    "vnc"
>>>
>>> Then, later on in your Section "Screen", you will need a line like:
>>>
>>>     Option    "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
>>
>> Where are these sections?  I have never changed my X11 config.
>
> Your xorg.conf file (usually found in /etc/X11 directory) is comprised
> of various "sections".
>
> There are more "Sections" to your xorg.conf file.  I will leave
> figuring out most of them up to you as an exercise in reading your own
> xorg.conf file.  I wish it was better documented so I knew *what* all
> the options were everywhere, but for now that is most of what you need
> to change.
>
> The last part you need to change is in the "Screen" section that your
> Layout uses.  This Screen section includes your videao device name,
> your monitor type, and has subsections that help configure all of the
> supported screen sizes (Modes).  Here is where you need to specify
> where the "password" file will reside for your vnc session.  The
> password file is necessary to keep just anyone from attaching to your
> X11 session and reeking havoc with your machine.  Especially if you
> keep root windows open on your desktop!
>
> I put mine in /root/.vnc/passwd (a similar location to where the
> vncserver service puts a user's password file, but this is for the root
> user).  I must admit, I cheated.  I just copied the password file from
> my home directory (~/.vnc/passwd) to the root directory.  But, it works
> for me.  All you need to know is the "DISPLAY" number of the X11
> session you want to connect to, and the password stored in your
> /root/.vnc/passwd file in order to connect.

I think I have made the necessary changes to my xorg.conf file.  I have
included the changes below.
Section "Module"
(several lines of Load here)
        Load  "dri"
        # The next line added by Jeremy Conlin on 10-20-04
        Load  "vnc"
EndSection

and also

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        # The following line added by Jeremy Conlin 10-20-04
        Option  "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection

Now do I have to reboot to have this take effect?  How do I start
viewing the desktop, through ssh?  Is there simply a command I enter
after logging in?

>>> This should allow to to  connect to your :0 X11 display and control it via VNC.
>>

>> Thanks for your help.  Someday I will become proficient at Linux (I hope).
>
> Practice make perfect.  I've been playing with Linux since kernel
> release 0.12 on an old 386 25Mhz machine when I found out that my 60MB
> hard drive was really a 70MB hard drive, and Linux could be installed
> on   the extra 10MB of space without disrupting DOS 3.2 (which needed
> special disk drivers to access any more than 32MB....)
>
> I hope this make things clearer....

This was VERY helpful.  Thank you very much!!!

Jeremy