irritating problem...

Birju Prajapati birju at nextmodels.com
Wed Oct 20 13:49:25 UTC 2004

hi all,
i'm pretty new here, and have a problem which is probably quite easy to
solve, but dont know how!
about once a week, when i left click with the mouse while pressing
shift, the mouse completely hangs. I end up having to ctrl-alt-bsp and
restarting X to get it working again. it's a microsoft usb optical mouse
on a dell 4550. i'm running fedora core2 with the kernel upgraded to
2.6.8-1. i haven't upgraded gnome or anything.
i dont really want to restart X everytime it happens, but i wouldnt mind
restarting the mouse server (or whatever software it is that does the
i/o for the mouse). so here's my question: how do i just 'restart' the
mouse?? btw i do have full keyboard access and can navigate to a bash
console with it whenever it happens.

any help much appreciated!
thanks,
birju