Porblems creating RW discs in K3B

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Oct 20 14:53:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:46:55PM +0000, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:16:31 +0000, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> >

> >>I recently upgraded from a 24/10/40 Plextor CD-RW to an Optorite 12x
> >>DVD+/-RW, and I have also upgraded to newer versions of K3B as well.
> >>

> >Which version of k3b is it? And where did you get it?
> >
> >I ask that because the has been a Fedora Core 2 update for k3b which
> >fixes a multi-session related bug.
> >

> [root at andrew root]# rpm -qa|grep k3b
> k3b-mp3-0.11.17-0.0.2.kde
> k3b-0.11.17-0.0.2.kde
>
> I use Yum and Synaptic, and both say I have the lastest version.
As usual I am confused by this discussion. As far as I can see
cdrecord, k3b and xcdroast can effectively use only CD-R disks.
They can not format CD-RW disks as Windows software can do allowing
you to use the CD just like you would use a hard drive in reading and
writing to it. So why would anyone use the more expensive CD-RW disks
on Linux systems?

Does anyone have a different take on this matter?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.