Porblems creating RW discs in K3B

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Oct 20 14:54:10 UTC 2004

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> As usual I am confused by this discussion. As far as I can see
> cdrecord, k3b and xcdroast can effectively use only CD-R disks.
> They can not format CD-RW disks as Windows software can do allowing
> you to use the CD just like you would use a hard drive in reading and
> writing to it. So why would anyone use the more expensive CD-RW disks
> on Linux systems?
>
> Does anyone have a different take on this matter?

I use CD-RW media for test releases, checking that bootable disks actually
boot etc. and any other purpose that requires only a short lifetime for the
burned CD. I can then re-use the CD-RW media and save wasting a write-once disc.

Using CD-RW media as a writeable filesystem probably requires creating a UDF
filesystem on the media; http://linux-udf.sourceforge.net/ appears to be the
home of UDF for Linux but I can't see much there in the way of HOWTOs etc.

Paul.