Porblems creating RW discs in K3B

Filippos Klironomos PresarioD at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 14:59:59 UTC 2004

> So why would anyone use the more expensive CD-RW disks
> on Linux systems?
>
> Does anyone have a different take on this matter?

Yep! I use CDRW all the time *but* you are right they can not be used
as Direct CD for example in Winblows uses them. Don't worry though it
is coming... :-)

Now the way to use the CDRW is by reading carefully the 'cdrecord' man
page when it comes to multisessions and the 'mkisofs' man page for
that matter.

Here is a short preview (I swear I posted the same thing in response
to this thread yesteraday)

- Insert CDRW in the drive
- As root:

mkisofs -v -o test1.iso -R -J <some file(s) here>
cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 blank=fast -tao -data -multi test1.iso

- Wait until it finishes. Notice that <some file(s) here> is any or
more files you want written in the ISO9660 image.
- After it finishes type as root again:

mkisofs -v -o test2.iso -M /dev/cdrom -C `cdrecord -msinfo` -R -J
<more file(s) here>
cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 -tao -data -multi test2.iso

- If all go well your second session will burn properly and you will
be able to see it by mounting the CD.

There! CDRW are very handy (at least for me) and the process is
similar for my DVD+RW drive as well only I use 'growisofs' for it.

The only thing missing is UDF support that will make the CDRW just
like a *very* slow hard disk but as I said earlier this is coming
soon...