GUI firewall

Eucke Warren euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Wed Oct 20 15:24:01 UTC 2004

> Jeremy Conlin escribió:
> >
> > I guess I did install that because it is there and that is almost
> > exactly what I wanted.  I was hoping it would have a check box to enable
> > a certain process through, for example vnc, which I think uses port
> > 5901.  How do I do that?
>
> There's a text field at the bottom of the "trusted" list of services,
> where you can add custom ports/protocols, like:
>     5901:tcp
>
> You can separate various ports with comma:
>     5901:tcp, 5902:tcp, 6900:udp, ...

You know....maybe I missed someone else pointing this out...but you can use
the "Security Level" gui in KDE or Gnome to get the iptables file built and
then you can easily edit the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file.  Look at the
syntax that the open ports have and then copy and paste a new line and
change it to include the port you're after.  Once changed you can restart
the Iptables service and voila!  I think it's pretty easy....  I came up
through early MS and DR Dos so I got my feet wet farting around in the CLI
to change things...I'll bet if you study that file a bit you'll be able to
see a pattern.  The hard part is figuring out which ports are relevant to
you....once know I think the changes are easy.

Hope this helps...

-Eucke