discount dell laptops -- the sordid *real* story

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 20 15:48:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 09:04 -0400, Lew Bloch wrote:
> > ["Robert P. J. Day" explained how he was unable to buy the Dell
> > "special" that spammed this list recently.]
> >
> > I'm sure the OP of the spam can take a lesson from this.  Here is one
> > person who lost time and gained frustration because Dell just didn't
> > live up to the hype.  Those who forwarded Dell's marketing hype,
> > especially if they were not rewarded for their effort, can now realize
> > that they were also ripped off.  They became part of Dell's viral
> > marketing for their diseased business, didn't help anyone, actually
> > increased someone's frustration (perhaps many someones') and most likely
> > didn't get compensated.  Where's the win?
> >
> > Good work, bucko.
>
> OMG, get over yourself

seconded.  fer chrissakes, lew, let it go.  i'm sorry that, in my
earlier diatribe, i didn't make it clear that i never blamed thomas
*in any way*.  personally, i've purchased two inspirons in the past,
and things have gone pretty smoothly, so i had no reason to think this
was going to be different.

sadly, it was, but it had nothing to do with thomas -- dell screwed
the pooch on this one.  but, having said that, it was clearly a matter
of timing.  in both cases, if i had just been a 1/2 hour earlier in
each case, i'd be sitting here, all aglow in the knowledge that i
scooped a great deal.  but it didn't work out that way.  sometimes,
shit happens.  but it's no big deal, no one died, i get over it and
move on.

and for those people who keep insisting that the original posting was
spam, well ... please take this for what it's worth.  you're idiots.
spam is normally when someone is trying to hustle something for
personal gain; when there's something in it for them.

thomas was trying to do people a favour -- for that, he's gotten
slapped around.  apparently, it really is true -- no good deed goes
unpunished.  don't sweat it, thomas -- the world is full of jerks.
you've just met some of them.

onward.

rday