discount dell laptops -- the sordid *real* story

Ernie McCracken holycrap at cavtel.net
Wed Oct 20 17:18:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:48:34AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> and for those people who keep insisting that the original posting was
> spam, well ... please take this for what it's worth.  you're idiots.
> spam is normally when someone is trying to hustle something for
> personal gain; when there's something in it for them.
>
> thomas was trying to do people a favour -- for that, he's gotten
> slapped around.  apparently, it really is true -- no good deed goes
> unpunished.  don't sweat it, thomas -- the world is full of jerks.
> you've just met some of them.

Well, I think that many people are afraid that condoning Thomas' post
will cause an increase in "hot deal" posts.

If we start allowing these type of posts, where do we draw the line?  If
it's ok to post about a great deal from Dell, can I post about a deal I
received from HP?  What about IBM?  Compaq?  Oh, and I got an amazing
deal on a CD-RW from Best Buy yesterday.. can I post about that?

So I can see where the people opposing "hot deal" posts are coming from.
On the other hand, I can see where Thomas found a great deal and merely
wanted to share his find with a group of people who might find it
useful.  There was nothing malicious behind his post, and calling him a
spammer might be a little harsh.

However, we should decide on whether this is the proper forum for
sharing deals we might find.  If it is, how do we limit it so that the
number of hot deals does not become overwhelming?  Who will decide on
what that limit is?  How will that limit be enforced?