iptables problem...

Linn Kubler lkubler at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 17:44:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:12:18 +0200, Michael Schwendt
<fedora at wir-sind-cool.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:55:42 -0500, Linn Kubler wrote:
>
> > > No netfilter/iptables modules loaded at all, and for some reason,
> > > they are not loaded automatically either. What do you get for..?
> > >
> > >   rpm -V iptables kernel modutils
> > >
> > > Your kernel is not the latest, btw.

> > > Very bad. Could be that your installed kernel packages is corrupted
> > > and you're missing modules. Above command should detect that.
> > >
> > When I run the rpm verify I get no messages, it just runs for a bit
> > and then I get a new prompt.  I'm assuming this is good at least no
> > errors.  But then running the "service iptables restart" command gives
> > the same error as before.
> >
> > Keep in mind that this is running on a Virtual PC and that I had to
> > download and install an update to make it work in the first place.
>
> I'm aware of that since your first message in this thread. I just
> wanted to rule out damaged packages as the cause of it. The other
> errors you get are an indication that the system is not fully working.

Thanks Michael and Alexander for all your help.  As Michael has
pointed out it looks like my system is not fully working and I think
it's still beyond my skill set at the moment and it's taking too much
time to sort out.  I have an old Dell Dimension R350XPS here with a
PII 350MHz proc. and 256MB RAM, I think I'll give that a try and see
if I can get back on schedule with my project.

Thanks again for the help gentlmen I'm sure you'll be hearing from me
again soon... ;)
Linn

Thanks again