Re: Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin wrote:
I think I have made the necessary changes to my xorg.conf file. I have included the changes below.
Section "Module"
(several lines of Load here)
Load "dri"
# The next line added by Jeremy Conlin on 10-20-04
Load "vnc"
EndSection

and also

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Videocard0"
       Monitor    "Monitor0"
       DefaultDepth     24
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     24
               Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
       EndSubSection
       # The following line added by Jeremy Conlin 10-20-04
       Option  "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection

Now do I have to reboot to have this take effect? How do I start viewing the desktop, through ssh? Is there simply a command I enter after logging in?

You need to put a password in your password file. Look at the vncpasswd command in order to do this. Make sure you do this as "root" so that it writes it to the correct file.

After that, you should only need to restart the X server. You need to make sure that it shuts down entirely, then restart it. "telinit 3" should be useful if you're running at init level 5. Then make sure with "killall X" as root after you login to one of your consoles. Then "telinit 5" should restart X for you....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome rcn com