run levels (priority) and chkconfig --add

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Wed Oct 20 19:46:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 15:05, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> In order to add a service with chkconfig you need to add the two
> commented lines for run level, priority and description like:
>

> # chkconfig: 35 30 20
>
> My question is, and I've read the man page on chkconfig, what are the
> priorities, in this case 30 and 20.
>
> Are they the order in which this service is started relative to all
> services?  Or are they the process priority to be given when the process
> is started or stopped?  I'm leaning toward the "order" relative to all
> services but I just wanted to make sure.  If this is the case than all
> services should have different numbers here???  Is the highest legal
> number 99?
>
> Regards
>
> Doug p

Yes, they are the order of starting and stopping the service relative to
other services.  When you do a chkconfig servicename on it will take the
first number (30, in your example) and create the symbolic linknames of
S30servicename.  When you do a chkconfig servicename off it will delete
the S symbolic linknames and create the K20servicename link.  These are
established in the rc?.d/ directories.  chkconfig will do it to
rc[2-5].d/ unless you specify --level as an option which will restrict
the rc?.d/ directories it manipulates.

Ultimately the /etc/rc.d/rc script is the one responsible for doing this
and executes the scripts one at a time in alphabetical order.  Since the
start scripts are of the form Snnservicename, even if two services have
the same number, it will then do them in "servicename" alphabetical
order.

HTH,

--Rob