Re: run levels (priority) and chkconfig --add

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
The number is the order / sequence in which the services are either
started and stopped. So if you for instance have Sendmail starting and a
milter application, it is essential that the milter is started before
Sendmail, so that Sendmail finds the milter socket file when it start.
Having Sendmail start value of 80 you need a lower value for the milter,
i.e. 75. This would then for instance be

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S75milter-bcc
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S80Sendmail

I find this particular example amusing, because it doesn't work correctly for me. B^)

In particular, sendmail starts with priority 80 and spf-milter with 79. But, spf-milter always dies and sendmail doesn't accept any email. If i then do "service spf-milter restart" the milter comes right up runs and sendmail starts accepting emails. Wierd. I'm going to play with the startup priority (79, 80, 81) for spf-milter and report back on my success (if I have any).

(no, there is no information in either the messages or maillog logfiles, I've looked, as to why spf-milter dies upon initial startup.)

See for instance:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO-6.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-March/msg06054.html

Alexander