run levels (priority) and chkconfig --add

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Oct 20 20:50:40 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> The number is the order / sequence in which the services are either
> started and stopped. So if you for instance have Sendmail starting and a
> milter application, it is essential that the milter is started before
> Sendmail, so that Sendmail finds the milter socket file when it start.
> Having Sendmail start value of 80 you need a lower value for the milter,
> i.e. 75. This would then for instance be
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S75milter-bcc
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S80Sendmail

I find this particular example amusing, because it doesn't work
correctly for me.   B^)

In particular, sendmail starts with priority 80 and spf-milter with 79.
  But, spf-milter always dies and sendmail doesn't accept any email.  If
i then do "service spf-milter restart" the milter comes right up runs
and sendmail starts accepting emails.  Wierd.  I'm going to play with
the startup priority (79, 80, 81) for spf-milter and report back on my
success (if I have any).

(no, there is no information in either the messages or maillog logfiles,
I've looked, as to why spf-milter dies upon initial startup.)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net