cannot select from grub boot loader

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 20:57:33 UTC 2004

> Richard E Miles wrote:
> > I have two kernels: 2.6.7-1.494 and 2.6.8-1.521 in my grub.conf file.
>
> <snip>
>
> > I am unable to use the up and down arrows to select a different kernel
> > than the default. In fact none of the editing keys work. Has anyone
> > else had problems with kernel selection on boot startup?
>
> then, later:
>
> > My keyboard is a ps2 keyboard. I used to be able to select from the
> > keyboard using the arrow keys at an earlier time. In fact I think the
> > problem happened when the 2.6.8-1.521 kernel was installed. It's very
> > strange.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser.
>
> It shouldn't be anything to do with the kernels: since grub is there to
> choose and load a kernel, obviously the kernel isn't actually loaded at
> that point.
>
> And there hasn't been a grub update (has there? What doesn rpm -q grub
> return?)
>
> What sort of motherboard do you have? What chipset? (Post the output of
> lspci if you're not sure).
>
> Can you post your /boot/grub/grub.conf file, in case there's anything
> odd there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James.

rpm -q grub
grub-0.94-5

My motherboard is a MSI MS-6390 VIA KM266 Chipset based.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.521)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.521.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.7-1.494.2.2)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.494.2.2 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.img

I don't think any of this is out of date or strange. I wonder if i should do a
grub-install? Do you think that some how grub got messed up? Like I said
earlier it was working in the past. So I don't know why it's not working now.

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA.