run levels (priority) and chkconfig --add

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Oct 20 21:29:11 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 21:50, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>>In particular, sendmail starts with priority 80 and spf-milter with 79.
>>  But, spf-milter always dies and sendmail doesn't accept any email.  If
>>i then do "service spf-milter restart" the milter comes right up runs
>>and sendmail starts accepting emails.  Wierd.  I'm going to play with
>>the startup priority (79, 80, 81) for spf-milter and report back on my
>>success (if I have any).
>>
>>(no, there is no information in either the messages or maillog logfiles,
>>I've looked, as to why spf-milter dies upon initial startup.)
>

> Which spf-milter package are you using? Perl, C, other? Pre-built or
> made yourself?
>
> The one I use definitely starts up before sendmail and doesn't bomb out
> straight away.
>
> Paul.

B^)

rpm -qi sendmail-milter-spf
Name        : sendmail-milter-spf          Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.41                              Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Tue 27 Apr 2004
03:50:26 AM EDT
Install Date: Thu 30 Sep 2004 12:30:34 AM EDT      Build Host:
gatekeeper.city-fan.org
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM:
sendmail-milter-spf-1.41-1.src.rpm
Size        : 54174                            License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 27 Apr 2004 03:50:57 AM EDT, Key ID
e0be69c9b56a8bac
Packager    : Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
Summary     : Milter to enable SPF checking in sendmail
Description :
sendmail-milter-spf is a mail filter designed to be used with sendmail
to implement checking of DNS spf records (see http://spf.pobox.com/)
to detect forged mail sender addresses.

I think its yours, Paul.   B^)  B^)

But I may have been trying to upgrade a previous version that was not an
RPM that I installed a while back directly from spf.pobox.com....

Yes, I have modified the chkconfig priority trying to get it to work
right for me.  I think I remember having to do the same with the
previous version too....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com