Laptop Hints

We've gotten an Averatec Athlon-based laptop on loan to play with. I've been very pleased with how well Fedora Core 2 has gone onto this laptop and recognized everything with no effort. I've just got two problems that I haven't been able to find any coherent answers to.

(1) I want (yes want) to enable click-tapping on the touchpad. I've got this in /etc/rc.d/init.d/touchpad:

/usr/bin/tpconfig --tapmode=1

But this gets logged:

Oct 20 00:30:21 dsi touchpad: fatal: Could not open PS/2 Port [/dev/psaux]

I've gotten the same thing on the command line even if I've done init 3 so there must be something rather whacked.

(2) What should I do to lighten what's required to run X to something less resource intensive?

--
</chris>

"Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good;
and when it is bad, it is better than nothing."  -- Dick Brandon