broken nohup?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 21 01:17:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 08:40:30PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 07:39:47PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> > nohup does not let me log out:
> > $ ssh my-host
> > my-host:bash$ nohup foo &
> > my-host:bash$ exit
> > <hangs here, ssh never terminates>.
> > I have to kill the ssh process externally.
>

> This is a long-standing problem with OpenSSH. In fact, it's even
> earned a FAQ on their web site. See
> <http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#3.10>. Not that there's a solution
> there -- to my knowledge, there just isn't one. (Well, there's a few
> suggested patches, but they haven't undergone review.)
>
> It's worth noting -- and knowing this makes their faq response make
> sense -- that bash, by default, *doesn't* send a HUP on exit. This
> means two things for you: first, there's really no need to use the
> nohup command, and second, the "workaround" they present is no
> workaround at all. The real workaround is the one you've been using
> -- kill the ssh process externally.
>
> Sorry this isn't really a helpful answer. But at least you'll know
> you're not alone.

Try the classic   ~. to exit.

After you type exit it does look as if ssh hangs.
That is when you type the two characters '~.'.

I was also going to suggest the use of /usr/bin/screen.

There are more than a couple situations where you
still have an association with a controlling terminal
and funny stuff with job control take place.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy