Booting FC2 from hard disk w/RedHat 8

Burnie West bgwest at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 21 06:10:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 18:06, Burnie West wrote:

> Phil Shaffner wrote:
> >Reboot and choose "Fedora 2 Install" and "hard disk" install, specifying
> >the path to the ISO image directory on the device you saved them to.
> >Note that you cannot use the partition with the ISOs for the
> >install/upgrade.  Recommend a fresh install on separate partition[s] or
> >a new disk, keeping the RH8 installation for a dual-boot fallback, and
> >as a source for configuration and user information.  Would also
> >save/backup /home even if on a separate partition and start fresh on
> >home directories.  A lot has changed in the user config files.
> >
> >Phil

I foundered a while, but made progress.  Phil, your suggestion is quite
useful.

Now, while I can get into FC2, 2.6.5-1.358 boots OK as long as my USB
drives are turned off, but 2.6.8-1.521 hangs in a manner similar to
David Bullock's "Upgraded Kernel" complaint.  Red Hat 8.0 also boots OK.
Sometimes the USB drives come up OK, sometimes not.

Unfortunately, now my Windoze won't boot.  Any idea why?

Windoze is in hda1, FC2 is in hda2, and Red Hat 8.0 is in hdb1 (it has
its own /boot there, but that now appears to be defunct.  Windoze booted
OK while that version of grub.conf was active; the DOS incantations are
identical.)

Here is my (currently active) grub.conf:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,1)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.521)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=LABEL=/1 noapic
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8-1.521.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/1 noapic
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
title DOS
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
title Red Hat 8.0
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img