I have been trying to update the following packages in my Fedora
Core 2 with up2date:
libgnome-2.6.0-3 (from libgnome-2.6.0-2)
mozilla-1.7.3-0.2.0:37 (from mozilla-1.6-8)
The problems I am experiencing are:
- Once I upgraded, all my preferences got mixed up (trying to set the
keyboard rate, for example, results in error messages), and the
"Desktop background" app actually crashes. All my icons on the
desktop are also gone.
- This problem remains even if I create a new user without any old
- Interestingly things work as expected when I log in as root. I
checked all the files in libgnome and the permissions seem correct.
- Downgrading back to libgnome-2.6.0-2 makes everything work again,
except for the things that the new version fixes (e.g. sound).
- After upgrading, it is completely unusable. Sometimes the bookmarks
disappears, sometimes it doesn't respond to clicks, and sometimes
I can't type URL into the URL bar at the top. It didn't matter
whether I erased all the profiles and started over, or ran it
- Downgrading back to mozilla-1.6-8 "fixes" everything.
I can't imagine these rpms hanging around for so long (months) if
there are many other people having the same problems. Am I the only
one? I reported the libgnome problem on bugzilla and only a couple of
other people said "me too"...but no solution was ever offered.
Any insight on these problems would be appreciated. (I upgraded from
Fedora Core 1 instead of doing an install from scratch. Does that
Howard Cheng e-mail: cheng cs uleth ca
Assistant Professor URL : http://www.cs.uleth.ca/~cheng/
Dept of Math and CS Phone : (403) 329-2182
University of Lethbridge Fax : (403) 317-2882