ntpd server on FC2

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Oct 21 12:36:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 06:32, Paul Howarth wrote:

> There is no way to make sure that the pool.ntp.org addresses in the "restrict"
> line are the same pool.ntp.org addresses used in the "server" line, so it's
> not possible to block off outside hosts from querying the time server using a
> restrict line. This was the problem I couldn't get my head round. But then it
> dawned on me that the point of the exercise was that the time server
> *shouldn't* be blocking off queries from outside hosts, rather the opposite:
> the time server should join the pool and *encourage* outside hosts to use it.

    Pretty cool idea, no?  I couldn't help but join the pool.  I'd spent
a lot of time worrying about stratums and whether I could get permission
to use a clock or not worry so much...but with the pool, the load is
balanced, and everyone there _wants_ you to use it.

    Somebody is decidedly deserving a big 'attaboy', I'd say.

    Neat, huh?

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller