Evolution Question

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 13:14:18 UTC 2004

Ben,

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:35:10 +0100 (BST), Jonathan Allen
> <jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk> wrote:
> > However, if a user isn't or hasn't logged in, their incoming mail will
> > continue to sit on the IMAP server and not get transfered to their
> > Evolution Inbox.  How can I allow the buddy to get that mail transfered
> > to the real user's Evolution Inbox so that it can be seen through the
> > symlink mechanism ?
> >
> > Or is there a better way of servicing this business requirement ?
>
> You want procmail and/or fetchmail.  There is tons of documentation on
> both in the ether -- Google is your friend.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I hope you'll excuse my questioning you
a little more on that.

As I understand it, fetchmail does a POP3/IMAP pickup from a mailserver
and delivers it to the SMTP socket of the machine on which it is running.
How does that get mail into the Evolution Inbox ?

As I understand it, procmail is a local filter that sits between an MTA
and the /var/spool/mail/~ mailbox.  Were you suggesting a procmail rule
to deliver everything to ~/evolution/Inbox/mbox ?  If so, does Evolution
support the mailbox locking mechanism, or does it expect with its own
Inbox to be the only one using it ?

Jonathan