Online replication of mail boxes

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Oct 21 16:21:26 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 21.10.2004 schrieb Dhananjoy Chowdhury um 15:37:

> I am facing a problem with replication of mail boxes.
>
> I have a smtp server running POSTFIX (192.168.0.10) for mydomain.com
> All mails for mydomain.com are forwarded to the POP server
> 192.168.0.11(port25), where all the user mail boxes are maintained.
>
> I want each mail to be forwarded simultaneously to another POP server
> 192.168.0.12 also so that i have a online replica of all user mail
> boxes.

> Dhananjoy

This is normally no MTA's job. As more biased to Sendmail I know you can
do copying of mail using milters (like synonym, milter-bcc or
MimeDefang) to do so, though it is not really what you have in mind with
replication. I think Postfix does neither really support this. Read for
instance following answer by Wietse - the Postfix author - about that
topic:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2000-11/1683.html

Though the posting is fairly old I think nothing changed in this regard.

If you want to replicate mail boxes  - as initially said this is not
task of an MTA - you should consider using rsync between then POP3/IMAP
servers. Another way would be to use what Cyrus-IMAPd comes with: the
murder. It is packaged with FC2 and does what you want automatically and
the correct way.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 18:15:09 up 1 day, 14:54, load average: 0.60, 0.32, 0.22