Sound Card Upgrade Issues

Remi COLLET liste at famillecollet.com
Thu Oct 21 16:49:06 UTC 2004

Chris Clarke a écrit :
> Hi Everyone,
>
>     I'm trying to upgrade my  sound card and having some problems.
> I've got an onboard sound card which fedora recognized and setup no
> problem, but I'd like to use a Creative Labs Audigy LS card that I got
> the other day.  So I rebooted the computer and disabled the onboard
> sound through BIOS, then I shut it down and popped the new card in.
> Kudzu said nothing about finding new hardware, and the boot went fine.
>  If I use "lspci" the new Audigy card is listed and recognized, but
> the sound is still coming out of the onboard soundcard ?!?  I've
> checked in the BIOS and it claims that the onboard sound is disabled,
> but it's lying 'cause I'm listening to xmms right now :)  Any ideas on
> what I can do?  TIA,
>
> Chris

 From XMMS you can choose your hardware (Prefs / alsa plugin / config)
 From MPLAYER you can only choose when using OSS
 From RHYTMBOX you can't choose.

If you don't want to (can't) disable the first card (my case because it
is my webcam : usb_audio)

For the programs which use alsa with the "default" card, you can change
it in the ~/asound.rc (or /etc/alsa.conf), example :

         pcm.!default {
         type hw
         card 1
         }

         ctl.!default {
         type hw
         card 1
         }

You can also try to modify /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, but I think it's
more dangerous...

I've make the following change :
       defaults.ctl.card 0
     defaults.pcm.card 0
     defaults.ctl.card 1
     defaults.pcm.card 1

And all hw:0,0 to hw:1,0

It's work quite well...
I only kept a error in some soft (mplayer) about /dev/mixer ?

If someone have more explanation...

Cordialy