insmod problem

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Oct 21 22:39:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:23:04 -0500, Linn Kubler wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I setup FC2 on an old Dell Dimention computer I had laying around and
> am reading through a book on Linux.  I'm trying to setup iptables and
> the book had me create my own rules script which I did, problem is
> when I exicute the script I get these errors...
>
> insmod: can't read 'ip_conntrack_ftp' : No such file or directory
> insmod: can't read 'ipt_LOG' : No such file or directory
> insmod: can't read 'ipt_REJECT' : No such file or directory
> insmod: can't read 'ipt_limit' : No such file or directory
> insmod: can't read 'ipt_state' : No such file or directory
>
> The script of course has:
> insmod ip_conntrack_ftp
> insmod ipt_LOG
> insmod ipt_REJECT
> insmod ipt_limit
> insmod ipt_state
>
> I've searched for these modules with no luck.  Beyond this it seems to
> be working, can anyone help me correct these problems?

The script is bad advice. Don't use insmod, use modprobe. modprobe
solves a module's dependency chain and pulls in required modules
where insmod would fail. Read the manual pages "man insmod modprobe".

Don't load modules manually which would be loaded automatically.
Except for ip_conntrack_ftp, there should be no need to load the
other modules manually.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 0.08 0.14 0.09