Gnome , lightweight tricks

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 22 02:37:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:12:02AM +0200, fabiano wrote:
> Hi,
> I've installed FC2+gnome on this machine:
>
> p3 700 sis630 176megs (effective) memory
> 800*600 16millions colors
>
> I've already disabled useless services, and I have set the filemanager
> to make only preview when  file's size less than 200Kbytes.
> (less weight&work).
> I'm quite impressed , it seems quite good .
> I'm curious..>There Are other settings ,I can manage, to raise the speed
> of gnome enviroment?
> (e.g: disable same features,filters, I'm not able to find out something
> useful in GNOME's control panel).
>
> Do you know any other gnome's tricks?
> Tricks to save memory and raise speed are very appreciated.

Check out the GNOME documentation (which should be installed on your
system) for some performance enhancing ideas. Click on your GNOME menu,
then select "Help." From there click "Desktop" then "System Administration
Guide." There is a section called "Improving Performance" (Chapter 9),
which should help a little.