Omission from updatedb exclusion list

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Fri Oct 22 03:20:28 UTC 2004

Gidday,

My Fedora Core 2 machine here has been accumulating dead updatedb
processes lately (there are currently 40 processed with 'D' status), and
I've just figured out why:

I have mounted some rather large and complex shares on a windows 2003
server domain controller using CIFS, the successor to SMB.  Problem is,
cifs is not explicitly mentioned in /etc/updatedb.conf.  Normally, an
SMB mount would be 'pruned' from the search path so the daily updatedb
cron job would skip it.  But now updatedb merrily jumps onto the windows
share and tries to index it, invariably geting bogged down in
unreasonably long paths and weird characters.

I would like to propose that "cifs" be included in the PRUNEFS line of
/etc/updatedb.conf in future versions of slocate.

thanks,
Greg

Modified updatedb.conf follows:

PRUNEFS="sysfs selinuxfs usbdevfs devpts NFS nfs afs sfs proc smbfs
autofs auto iso9660 cifs"
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /net /sfs /selinux /udev"
export PRUNEFS
export PRUNEPATHS