Re: Online replication of mail boxes

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 06:21:26PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> If you want to replicate mail boxes  - as initially said this is not
> task of an MTA - you should consider using rsync between then POP3/IMAP
> servers.

CAUTION... rsync would not know about the locks that mail
needs to keep the mail files from being corrupt.

If you could signal a sync then lockout access/changes  sure...

aliases can be used to clone (tee style) the incoming stream to an
archive box.

	camel, camel archiveBoxA domain tla

The user does not need access to archiveBoxA but the system admin of
the archive box needs to install some house keeping scripts to
organize archives.

And, It can be valuable to have something like
this very early in a procmailrc file.

    # c    Generate a carbon copy of this mail
    :0 c
    /archive/home/USER-bob/mail/inhist/this.week
    # see  man procmailex !!!!...
    ### remove duplicate messages, i.e. to me and mailing list
    ##:0 Wh: msgid.lock
    ##| formail -D 32768 $MAILDIR/mail/cache.msgid

A site specific .procmailrc file could also be placed in /etc/skel
by you.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy