The Latest on DNS Servers

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Oct 22 16:41:46 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 22.10.2004 schrieb Roy W. Erickson um 18:24:

> I need to rehost my 6 year old internal DNS servers on newer hardware.

About how large zones do we talk?

> Whats the latest "best practice" for DNS servers these days?

What do you have in mind saying "best practice"? Can you be more
specific? You need a howto to set them up? Or you need advises on how to
administer a DNS?

> I would like to try a fail-over pair if possible. Does Fedora have
> fail-over capability?

This is where master and slave DNS come to play. bind9, which ships with
Fedora, supports master / slave setups since ages.

> Some internal admins want a GUI based DNS. Any such GUI front ends?

How much experience with DNS do you and the internal admins have with
administering a DNS? Does the data change frequently?

> Roy

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 18:37:42 up 2 days, 15:17, load average: 1.22, 1.29, 1.42