Disk activity

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Sat Oct 23 01:34:37 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Burger"
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Richard Emberson wrote:
>

>> Using FC2 and have two ext3 disks.
>> Every 5 seconds theres disk activity.
>> What process is doing this? How can I catch it in action?
>> Nothing out of the ordinary shows up in using "top" or "ps".
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> RME

ext3 won't commit unless something really changed.  Historically, there's
been applications the continually poll the filesystem and causes a access
time change, thus ext3 flushes a right or commit.

It would be an applet in X, or something in cron that runs every seconds.
You can strace -p <PID> each master process id and find out if that app is
continually doing file i/o.

The battery status applet was a polling application that never let the hard
drive rest.
-eric wood