Unable to open USB device - a second time - SOLVED for the printer

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Oct 23 17:17:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 17:58, Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:
> François Patte wrote:
>
> | ...................... I think that this the main problem; I've
> | seen your other tests.
> |
> | Have look there:
> |
> | http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PSC_2175

> Above was a great help, and the following from
>
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> "Try modprobe uhci-hcd and see what appears in
> /var/log/messages and if there's any output from lsusb".

It's strange that the /etc/modprobe.conf entry:

alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

isn't causing this module to be loaded at boot-up time as
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit has a section that looks for USB controllers.
You've not got "nousb" as a kernel option in your grub.conf, have you?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>