software for slide show / presentation question

Hi there guys.

I need an application to set up a slide show of some pictures (jpg, bmp files) on some machines. I guess there is a bunch of application for that job but I do not know any at the time. So please, give me a hint where to start. I use Gnome on the machines that are supposed to run this show.

Thanks in advance guys,
Ragnar w.