Choosing kernel automatically at Boot - Beginner -

I have updated the kernel and when I boot, it will automatically boot to the
old kernel unless the new one is chosen. What do I edit to make it choose
the new kernel instead of the old?
  I have gotten some ideas by searching but am VERY nervous about doing this
kind of operation with my limited knowledge.

Thanks for a GREAT list.