Re: Choosing kernel automatically at Boot - Beginner -

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:32:09 -0700 (PDT), joshua neff
<joshua_neff yahoo com> wrote:
> I open the terminal, logged in as root, typed "chmod
> +w /etc/grub.conf" and it still gives me a permission
> denied message.

I'm guessing that's 'cos you typed "/etc/grub.conf" at the command
prompt -- which means to the shell you were trying to execute
grub.conf.  Grub.conf is not executable (check the permission bits on
the underlying actual file (/boot/grub/grub.conf) and you'll find it's
only readable and writable by the owner (root).

> I did open grub.conf with vi, though.
> "Default=1" Before I go ahead and change anything, I
> want to be absolutely sure I'm doing the right thing.
> If I set the default to 0, will it boot with kernel
> 2.6.8 by default (instead of 2.6.5 being the default)?
> Or do I need to set the default to something else to
> get 2.6.8 to be the default kernel?

Using vi (or some other editor) is what the initial respondant
expected you to do.

Default=x , where x is the number of the clause to choose
automatically after the value of seconds in "timeout" has expired.
The clauses are counted from 0.  So, if the first clause (denoted by
the initial keyword "title", the only non-indented line) is the one
with the newest kernel, that is the one you want.

After you successfully boot with the new kernel, you can remove the
old kernels with an "rpm -e kernel-{version}" -- and grub.conf will
automatically get cleaned up for you.

--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs metacon ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben steeves gmail com