Choosing kernel automatically at Boot - Beginner -

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 24 23:49:11 UTC 2004

joshua neff <joshua_neff at yahoo.com> wrote:

 >>> file, if you still can't

 >>> In vi you may also be able to use the !w command to
 >>> force it to be
 >>> saved.  That should override the files permissions
 >>> without having to
 >>> change them via chmod.
 >>>

 >I open the terminal, logged in as root, typed "chmod
 >+w /etc/grub.conf" and it still gives me a permission
 >denied message. I did open grub.conf with vi, though.
 >"Default=1" Before I go ahead and change anything, I
 >want to be absolutely sure I'm doing the right thing.
 >If I set the default to 0, will it boot with kernel
 >2.6.8 by default (instead of 2.6.5 being the default)?
 >Or do I need to set the default to something else to
 >get 2.6.8 to be the default kernel?

Provided you can safely boot the first option on the
grub menu, from the menu without doing anything else,
this is all you need to do.  0 corresponds to the first
entry in grub.conf, 1 to the second and so on.  Even
if not, you'll be able to boot and notice the
difference.

I'm curious you're not able to write the file as root
though.  On my FC2 install /etc/grub.conf is a symlink
to:
  /boot/grub/grub.conf
Have a go at editing that instead, changing the
permissions of the link at /etc/grub.conf won't
do anything AFAIK.

--
imalone