FTP Macro

It will log in but not run the commands, I've tried all kinds of changes
but the samples in my book and on the web say this should work.  I just
get ftp> after the login and it sits there taunting me.

machine mydomain.com login name password XXXXXX macdef macro-name
cd /backup
lcd /home/timothy/backup
put *.gz.gpg
quit

Any ideas would stop me from pulling out my hair :-)

Tim...