How are fedora kernels modified from vanilla kernels

Javier Perez pepebuho at pananet.com
Mon Oct 25 06:57:38 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am So, den 24.10.2004 schrieb Douglas Phillipson um 20:32:
>

>>How are fedora kernels different from kernel.org vanilla kernels?
>

> They are heavily patched.
>

>>How are the rpm's made?
>

> Get the kernel src.rpm and inspect it, at least the kernel.spec file.
> You'll see then.
>

>>Doug P
>

> Alexander

Hi
I dowloaded and installed kernel-sourcecode-2.6.8.1-521

I went to /usr/src/linux/2.6.8.1-521 and did not find the
usual directories, (BUILD, SPEC, etc.) I found rather the sourcecode.

Does it mean that I have to download kernel-2.6.8.1-521.src.rpm ?

What is the difference between the kernel-sourcecode packages and the
*.src.rpm packages?

If I want to recompile the kernel (I might have to do it to solve a ACPI
DSDT problem with a laptop), what should I used, kernel-sourcecode or
kernel src.rpm?

--
  /\_/\
  |O O|  pepebuho at pananet.com