Re: router causing ssh etc. slowdown?

Today I installed a Netgear wireless 802.11b router, model MR814 v2. $10 after rebate at Staples, and now I can finally use my wireless-enabled XP laptop in my living room.

[snip]

My gripe comes when I try to SSH to my FC2 box from my laptop, going through the Internet (ssh <external-router-ip>)

Most NAT routers don't work properly when you connect to a (forwarded) port on their public IP from a host on their own LAN.

The connection goes through, but SSH is sloooooooooow. Characters take several seconds to appear. Same thing with VNC. If I try these services using the internal LAN IP (ssh 192.168.0.2), then it of course works flawlessly.

I have port 22 forwarded on the router to 192.168.0.2.

Good.

I used to be able to SSH into my Linux box from work to check on stuff. Now it's so slow that it's unuseable.

I would expect it to work fine. I have a customer with a MR814 v2 running older (5.0_00) firmware; no problem with forwarding. Did you test while physically at your work machine? If not, by what means were you accessing work's desktop?

--Stewart